Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that has proven to be very successful in the body's detoxification process since oral health has a great impact on overall health.
This cleaning is about eliminating pathogens from the mouth and throat, reducing inflammation and relieving congestion. It also helps eliminate bad breath, soothe bleeding gums, gingivitis, plaque, tooth sensitivity and moisturizes the mouth, lips and throat. There are also testimonials from people who have received relief from stomach problems and people who have managed to eliminate strep throat bacteria.
How to perform oil pulling detox?
First of all buy one of the recommended oils. My favorite is coconut oil, although you can also use sesame oil. Use the highest quality oil possible.
- Swish the oil around your mouth and between your teeth. Start with 5 minutes and build it up to 20 minutes or more. Do not swallow the oil as it collects toxins that you don’t want to put in your body and do not gargle!
- When you reach the rinsing time make sure you spit it out in the trashcan or directly on the ground. Never dispose of it in the pipe since oil can clog the pipes.
- Immediately rinse your mouth with water and salt, or water and 15ml of Apple cider vinegar to remove oil residue.
- After rinsing, brush your teeth very well to remove any remaining bacteria in your mouth.
- Finally look in the mirror and smile at yourself, thank for self-care and feel happy.
When you care for yourself deeply, you’re able to show up in the world in a big way.
It’s best to practice oil pulling in the morning, but you will benefit from doing it any time of day and for any amount of time. Start small and work your way up! It will quickly become as natural as brushing your teeth.
By Fanny Barquero